[Ayatana] How Mozilla does community-driven open source design

See http://tinyurl.com/2ebzvww for an article on Mozilla's community-driven design efforts. An interesting caveat from the article:
Some commentators doubt that an open source approach can be fruitfully applied to design. "There are plenty of good ideas, but they don't work well together with the real world," says Jakob Nielsen, principal at the Nielsen Norman Group in Fremont, Calif. Open source encourages the addition of new solutions and ideas. In design, says Nielsen, "the brilliant idea can be the one unifying idea that can take away 10 other ideas."
Can anyone cite an example of a "unifying idea that can take away 10 other ideas" from the Ayatana list, or are we generating "plenty of good ideas [that] don't work well together"? What can we learn from Mozilla's efforts in this arena?

Mozilla's communiy-design epicenter: http://mozillalabs.com/conceptseries/

David