Re: [Ayatana] General System Responsiveness

Ever since a fresh install of Lucid, I get a grey screen when I start Firefox.  I suspect it is something with Firefox given Chrome doesn't have this issue.
Still, having the default browser grey screen when opening the default page is ridiculous (tried with a new profile and no addons still same issue)

As far as the other subject of this, KDE (and by extension Kubuntu) has a small icon of the program animated by the cursor as it is starting.

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 06:41:41 -0400
From: launchpad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: kazade@xxxxxxxxx
CC: ayatana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Ayatana] General System Responsiveness

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 4:39 AM, Luke Benstead <kazade@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The other issue is that if some app starts accessing the hard disc / use some CPU, everything seems to stop completely. Just now I ran some updates while trying to type this email and Firefox started "grey screening" me every few seconds. Why? The updates seem to use all the CPU and leave the applications struggling to even refresh. I'm not saying this is an Ubuntu specific thing, obviously we've all seen Window's "The application is not responding" dialog, but I know that I see the greyed window on Ubuntu far more than that dialog on Windows. And in my experience, the Windows dialog actually appears when that program is hanging, not because another program is busy.

I have noticed this "grey screening" a lot too, and it really gets on my nerves; I have four processing cores, each capable of multi-threading -- no matter what I'm doing on my computer, I expect the user interface to be completely responsive. I know this is not a trivial task, but Windows 7 is currently doing a much better job of this.

-Scott

--
Scott Armitage, B.A.Sc., M.A.Sc. candidate
Space Flight Laboratory