Re: [Ayatana] Reliability: Realtime Experience for Maverick

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 14:17, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Frederik Nnaji wrote on 09/09/10 12:28:
> The most unlikely thing to happen is that i press a button or switch,
> only to be left guessing for a quarter of a minute, whether anything has
> been invoked, activated or started by my action.
>
> http://lh6.ggpht.com/_1QSDkzYY2vc/TH7Lkl4Jd-I/AAAAAAAAByc/ttFY5lOV3cA/ubuntu-10.10-screenshot.png
> and
> http://lh4.ggpht.com/_1QSDkzYY2vc/TH7Lk9DqKYI/AAAAAAAAByk/w27hJZiRIII/ubuntu-10.10-installer2.png
> show dialogs containing "Forward" buttons in the installation dialog,
> which show no feedback upon click.
>
> The Forward button should react in realtime when clicked: at the moment
> there is no reaction for about 10-20 seconds.

Evan Dandrea, the installer maintainer, has just shown me that two
things happen when you click "Forward": (1) the button becomes
insensitive, and (2) the cursor changes to a busy cursor.

He's making a temporary change to (2) today, so that the cursor will be
a busy cursor even if you have moved it outside the installer window.
<http://paste.ubuntu.com/493568/>

nice!
this doesn't have to remain temporary.
After choosing "install", every other activity becomes second class in my opinion.
Therefore the cursor should then inform me about where the installation is at, no matter where on the screen it is.

For Natty, possibly we'll add a spinner somewhere inside the installer
window, that appears when the next screen is taking more than a second
or two to display (as we do in Ubuntu Software Center in Maverick, for
example).

oh beautiful! Hopefully the spinner will be close to where the interaction is happening, or close to the middle of the screen. On a usability side of things, i think it is even safe to preempt the user's next step here and place it onto or right next to the "Forward" button..

thanks, btw, i didn't know pastebin yet.. a shame!