Re: [Ayatana] Audial notifications.

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 09:35, Shane Fagan <shanepatrickfagan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yeah the btw play a little sound to go with that is a little bit too
far. I think it has to be two separate events so you can use the audio
api without having to create a messaging menu item.

Maybe. And people always have the option of playing a sound via pulseaudio directly, or with libcanberra.

I would however argue that 99% of the time, if you want an audio *notification*, you probably  want a messaging menu item, *AND* a notify-osd notification too.

Like notify-osd bubbles, audio notifications are by definition "ethereal", and disappear as soon as they're gone. If something happened that's so important that we need a sound to tell the user... there should probably be an indication of what happened that's there until they dismiss it (ie, the messaging menu). This is especially true if you're playing audio notifications while the user is away from the computer, and then comes back.

--
Jeremy Nickurak -= Email/XMPP: -= jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx =-