Re: [Ayatana] progress window chrome

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 13:22, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx wrote on 07/12/10 01:42:

> what purpose has the titlebar in the attached image?
> I can only imagine that it is meant as a drag handle..

Yes. It is a bug in the HIG that it recommends repeating title bar text
as primary text in progress windows.

Forgive me, my quoting was sloppy, here's the quote in context:

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 17:04, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jarlath Reidy wrote on 11/05/10 23:37:

> But what about the red x on the top left of the window? It could cancel
> the operation. Then I thought 'when I close nautilus, it doesn't delete
> all my files. It just dismisses that view of my filesystem.' - so it
> probably just closes the window without effecting the operation.

To avoid that kind of confusion, a progress window -- a window that
embodies a task the computer is completing, and closes itself when done
- -- should not have a close button in its title bar at all.

The failure to systematically distinguish progress windows, dialogs, and
other window types is a long-standing design flaw in Gnome.

This is what i was trying to bring up again!
I agree that there are different types of windows, or better "display objects", that need distinguishing.
IMO we should give desklets another look, compiz has an extra layer for such stuff and i think its time to put it to use.

In 2008 I wrote a specification for Nautilus's progress window.
<http://live.gnome.org/Nautilus/ProgressWindow>

This looks like a dynamic menu with a window border around it to me..
Just thinking out aloud, i'll be silent now ;)