Re: [Ayatana] media vs apps

Personally, if I were to click on a button labeled 'Photos and Videos', I would expect to find those files there rather than editors, etc.

That said, if I were to click on a button labeled 'Music', I would expect to find my music player there, because when interacting with my music files, I prefer to do so with the abstraction provided by a media player. That also said, I don't do a lot of work with pictures and videos, so I don't know what someone that did would prefer.

I am however inclined to assume they would prefer to interact with those files through an abstraction layer thrown up by their editor/manager of choice, since programs like Nautilus are designed to be a general purpose manager with no predisposition toward any particular media type. Programs like Banshee, iTunes and Zune provide an experience that is designed around multimedia content and so I would argue that if the apps (yes, I shall be using that word to describe applications from now on :P) found in the 'Photos and Videos' section were well designed, I see no reason to think that the app is being placed above the content, rather I'd see it as a synergy of the two.

As for the problem at hand, I think having the user access their files through the editors/managers is a better experience than directly accessing the files since these editors will both display the files and present the user with options geared toward managing those particular media types. In my opinion, if the media app is designed well enough, like the three mentioned above, then I don't see any reason for accessing the files directly, at least in the users day to day management of said files. With Banshee, I only ever have to directly access my music files for reasons of OCD :P