Re: [Ayatana] appmenu-gtk api for disabling aplication menus

On Sun, 2011-01-23 at 12:22 +0100, Karel "Karlitos" Macha jr. wrote:
> I would like to ask if there is a possibility - for example with appmenu-gtk
> API
> - to let the application menus disappear without the need of starting indicator
> applet.
> I am developping a Linux based kiosk for older people and the possibility to
> hide the menus in the GTK applications would be very handy. Till now I had to
> add gnome/xfce panel with indicator applet to cause the menu hiding efect.
> Is there any other possibility for example to send messages over Dbus with
> python or so ?

You've probably got two choices that are reasonable:

You could make a "mock registrar" in DBus that would tell all the
applications that there menus are being registered, but then ignoring
them.  All of them just register to a well-known name in DBus.
appmenu-gtk would then think the menus are being used and hide them in
the application.

Or you could make your own menu module.  The way that the appmenus work
is that GTK loads a module (appmenu-gtk) which controls the exporting of
them over DBus.  You could make your own module that just always hid the
menus.

		--Ted