Re: [Ayatana] No one will ever use the upper-left Ubuntu button

On 06/03/11 22:02, Martín A. Casco wrote:
> Click on Ubuntu's Icon for some shortcuts, lets see.. Apps (we an icon
> on Launcher for that); Files and Folders (same situation that Apps);
> then, Banshee (Sound Menu or Launcher if we want), Web Browser
> (include on Launcher out of the box), Shotwell (same that Browser if
> we want)..
>
> I mean, from Ubuntu's icon we can access to Web Browser, Apps,
> Files/Folders, Banshee, Shotter... But, from Launcher we can access to
> the same apps, folder or shortcuts. We have 3 icons for access  the
> same Dash with 3 different (unnecessary) filtering options.

Yes, the degree of overlap between the launcher and the shortcuts bears
thinking about. In part, we were concerned that a user might
inadvertently remove one of the key apps from the launcher, and the
shortcuts would thus provide a standardised way to restore them. We
deliberately made the shortcuts "shrinkable", and a future update will
use that fact to make the Dash leaner and neater.

We've said we want to use icon styling to differentiate between "dash
lenses" and "applications".

> So:
>
> - Maybe it could be better eliminate Apps and File/Folder's icons from
> Launcher and integrate them on Ubuntu's icon.
>
> - Use Ubuntu's Icon for show System Information or another useful
> option/application.

Putting system settings in the shortcuts is one option, yes.

>> - Have it be a trigger to recall the dock. This would be useful in the
>> case of a touch interface, so that the dock's autohide may be used on
>> touch-enabled devices (esp. ones with limited screen real-estate)
>
> This last idea it's great!

None of the menu bar elements is touch friendly. A touch point needs to
be 8mm square, by our definition. 22px is much less on any normal
display. So this is not a great plan. The dash / launcher can be
revealed with a 4-drag from left to right on touch devices.

Mark