[Ayatana] Fwd: Group Active Applications at One Place

@Mark: Sorry about the double, I forgot to hit my "Reply All".

I find that setting the backlights to toggle gives me a good visual indication of what's running and what isn't. Maybe this should be the default behavior?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ian Santopietro <isantop@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 09:18
Subject: Re: [Ayatana] Group Active Applications at One Place
To: Mark Curtis <merkinman@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I find that setting the backlights to toggle gives me a good visual indication of what's running and what isn't. Maybe this should be the default behavior?

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 08:14, Mark Curtis <merkinman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Running application are available at a glance with the light to the left of the icon.
Grouping them together would mean that the placement of the icons would constantly change, hindering muscle memory.
The problem may be that running application are still difficult to pin point even with the lights, but I don't think constantly shuffling icons is the solution.

> From: vibes.ubuntu@xxxxxxxxx
> To: ayatana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 12:57:29 +0000
> Subject: [Ayatana] Group Active Applications at One Place

> Hello,
>
> My name is Nitesh and this is my first mail to Ayatana Team. I recently
> filed a bug in Launchpad and I will repeat the same here as advised.
>
> Active applications in Unity currently don't group at one place and they
> are scattered at various spots in the launcher, even in the icons that
> are folded in accordion style. This is a real pain because we should
> know what applications are currently active in one glance. Since we
> cannot see the entire launcher at one go, specially in large monitors,
> it takes quite a effort to spot and open apps that are active. It get
> worse when apps are pinned way at the bottom as they remain folded even
> when they are active. Hope you get the idea.
>
> The solution would to group them at top or at a place where active apps
> can be quickly spotted.
>
> Screenshots:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/736683/+attachment/1914060/+files/Screenshot-1.png,
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/736683/+attachment/1914061/+files/Screenshot-2.png
>
> Launchpad bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/736683
> --
> This message was sent from Launchpad by
> dart (https://launchpad.net/~dart-v85)
> using the "Contact this team" link on the Ayatana Discussion team page
> (https://launchpad.net/~ayatana).
> For more information see
> https://help.launchpad.net/YourAccount/ContactingPeople

Ian Santopietro