Re: [Ayatana] "Games"-application idea

Well the idea was an interesting idea and pretty attainable in terms
of what we have to work with.

So the social features are all done with Empathy/Telepathy so the
developers would be able to plug in to this API that is already there
for this (in 99% sure its a dbus call or something to do it). More
advanced features like allowing users to join games or install games
from the software center by clicking a link in empathy would require a
little bit of code in empathy itself to work but not too much.

The idea itself shouldn't add too much to the default Ubuntu install
the only thing that might add a lot is adding mumble to empathy which
would be awesome even for non gamers. I don't really agree with the
term hardcore gamers since the developers of both styles of games
should be able to use the APIs on offer in the same ways and get equal
great user experiences from it.

Saving games to u1 is easy to do you can either sync the folder or you
can use desktop couch and sync the table so thats easy and if you send
any developer to #ubuntuone on freenode we can help it out. Between
devices is interesting because we do have a file sync for android and
it is being improved at the moment so ill have to say maybe on the
devices comment. On windows if the developer uses the same config or
save files you could even work there too (on the new windows client in
development, soonish release but not near ready yet).

Videos in the software center is something ive wanted for a while. It
would take some effort to set up though so I wont try to speculate on
it. Id love to have trailers and gameplay videos though since thats
what people base their buying decisions on when buying games. The
interesting thing would be how to do this. Streaming is always a
sticky issue.

--fagan