Re: [Ayatana] Thoughts on Unity design

On 05/20/2011 12:50 AM, David Stevenson wrote:
Viewed from a slightly different perspective, there is a view that the
existing menu layout is best for newbies and this list consists of
traditional power users which is why they don't like it.
I do not agree with this, but I think it is a valid argument.

That's the first time I see that "argument" here (admittedly, I don't read everything posted).

The mechanics of what Unity currently does with menus are much more complex than just leaving menus in place. Associating menus in the top panel with app windows is a bigger mental steps than doing so with menus inside app windows. Hiding menus until the mouse is in the panel turns menus into something to discover, while before, they have been obvious.

Not to claim that there are no advantages to Unity's current ways, obviously it's a question of weighting.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/