Re: [Ayatana] Launcher Icon for Compiz Scale Plugin

I posted a launcher design sketch on how the workspace switcher/scale could be better implemented into the launcher in the Global menu in Oneric Ocelot (11.10) thread. Take a look!

2011/5/22 Ed Lin <edlin280@xxxxxxxxx>
On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 12:40 AM, Niklas Rosenqvist
> 2011/5/20 Ed Lin <edlin280@xxxxxxxxx>
>> alternatively:
>> keep the current button design of the workspace switcher and extend it
>> so you can add and remove certain special buttons such as the spread
>> view or "show desktop" via a yet to be written launcher option dialog.
>
> For me this is partially not an alternative. The extension idea is great but
> the button design must be revamped since it's a function integrated so
> deeply into the shell and not "just" a launcher and therefore it must be
> separated from the regular launchers. I have an idea for this I will sketch
> up a mockup for in the near future. I understand that by "design" you may
> very well have meant purely the function and not the aesthetics but I just
> wanted to emphasize this :)

I always was for separating app launchers and other buttons more
cleanly. My solution for that was to start putting app launcher from
the top, below the BFB and lenses, workspace switcher and possible
additions to that from the bottom, above the trash. Also I should be
able to remove ALL launcher items individually. Personally I prefer a
minimalist look and I'd like to use the launcher only for displaying
running applications, nothing more. For other functions I prefer using
keyboard shortcuts, gnome-do and opening the trash via nautilus.

> The launcher context menu is a great idea but please explain the hot corners
> further since I'm not an avid OS X user.

Or like the Activities button in GNOME 3. throw the mouse in the
corner and activate the view. In OS X  you can set any of the four
corners to show desktop/workspaces/expose/screensaver...