[Ayatana] Understanding the menu problem.

Since I've only recently joined this list and community, I'm sure to have
missed out on some good discussions. I have some ideas for improving
the menus, but if they've already been discussed and ruled out, then I don't
want to waste time jabbering on about them. So please help me catch up.
I appreciate it. And just to emphasize; it's not my intention to start a
discussion. I only want a thorough understanding of the situation.

When a window is maximized, the menu and window buttons are moved
to the top panel and the window title shares space with the window menu,
displaying the menu when you hover and the title when you don't.
I don' think I've read any arguments against this. Are there any?

When a window is not maximized, for example when you drag it away
from the top panel, the menu remains on the top panel, but instead of
showing the window title, it shows the applications name. There are a few
arguments for and aganst this:

Pros:
* Having a menu next to the screen edge makes it easier to hit with the
        mouse according to Fitts' Law.
* Hiding the menu when you're not using it, makes the desktop feel less
        cluttered and technical.
    *  When the menu is always located at the same place, it's easier for
        users to find it.

Cons:
    *  Having a hidden global menu for a window that is not maximized,
        makes it difficult to find, specially for new users.
    *  If the window is far away from the top panel, then you have to make
        a long mouse-journey to get to the menu.
* If you use "focus follows pointer", then you can focus a different window
        on your way to the menu, changing the menu before you get there.
    *  The global menu itself creates a mental disconnection between the
        window and its menu, whether its hidden or not.

Have I missed something, or is that pretty much it?

Next. What is the main reason for wanting the global menu in the first
place? Is it to conserve screen space and remove clutter, or is is it more
about Fitts' Law and similar considerations?

What exactly are the current plans?

Thank you.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad