Re: [Ayatana] proposal: alt+num navigation in "superviews"

On Sat, 2011-06-04 at 21:13 +0200, Ed Lin wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 7:34 PM, Ian Santopietro <isantop@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In this case, Super+number for the launcher eould be disabled, and would be
> > activated per window instead. I'll try to make a mockups, but it'll be a
> > little later today.
>
> That would appear to be arbitrary and inconsistent and break user
> expectations. It would be the solution if spread mode was a separate
> view, without a launcher visible. But for several reasons, one
> mentioned above this isn't desirable.

Ok, I can understand that, and I also know that you can use the arrow
keys and Return/Enter to select a Window, but it took me a long time of
experimenting to find out what to do.  Possibly something that a naive
user would not be able to find out.  The real problem here is what do we
do to help a user in those 'what do I do now' situations.  I get the
feeling that users really love Unity when they know what to do, but hate
it when it just looks at them without giving any clues.

I don't know the best way to tackle this, but making things a bit more
obvious is one of them, and that is the merit of numbering the windows.

Another way would be to have a sort of 'information mode', maybe toggled
on and off with F1, that could print on screen 'You can select a window
by clicking it with the mouse, or select a window with the arrow keys
and press Enter or Return'.

Tony