Re: [Ayatana] Windows 8 and OS X Lion observations

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Jonathan Meek <shrouded.cloud@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd just like to quickly point out: You say Unity is essentially telling
> "power users" they're wrong (sorry if I paraphrase, limited time).

Actually, my complaint was more directed at Lion and particuarly Gnome 3.

Unity is actually OK, _so far_, but was pushed to the forefront too
early -  a nasty trend I've been seeing with a lot of software in the
past few years.  It is not a good idea to release something that isn't
functionally comparable with the thing it is replacing, and in Unity's
case, my only show-stopping issue with it is a memory leak that makes
Compiz take up over a gig of RAM if I just leave it running for a day
or so.

Also, I'm complaining about a lot of the conversation that has been
going on in this mailing list.  Some of the design suggestions being
thrown out here just strike me as crazy.

> Unity isn't about telling power users they're wrong, it's just not about
> that at all. It's meant to be about improved usability and spreadability.

What is is *meant* to be is unimportant.  I'm only interested in what
it *is*, and what it is becoming.  The road to hell is always paved
with good intentions.

--G