Re: [Ayatana] Comments on the Device & User Menu specs

Hi Jeremy, thanks for your mail.

On 02/08/11 00:35, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
Since I help out on the Documentation Team, I value clear user
interface terminology so that users, powerusers, and maybe even
developers can use the same, understandable language. The old session
menu name became unclear when System Settings was added to it, but I
have to say that "device menu" is an even worse name. I strongly
prefer calling this menu the "system menu" since the items here are
generally system actions or configurations. Also, it's parallel to the
power menu having a power settings button and the sound menu having a
sound settings button.

+1 from me. I'd like to hear MPT's opinion on this, but if he raises no objections consider that an approval to move forward. If he does, I'll be glad to resolve it one way or the other.

http://pad.lv/815077 was reported about the lack of a Restart button.
It appears as though the spec is that Restart will only be shown if
restart-required updates have not been applied. A typical user will
want to restart to Windows or OS X. A fair number of developers have
another Ubuntu install or Linux distribution they would like to reboot
to use. Requiring users to log out before they restart seems to make a
common usecase more frustrating. If the desire is to reduce menu
option clutter, I suggest keeping the option as Shut Down (or Power
Off might be a good descriptive alternative). And then use a pop-up
like Gnome Shell to allow Restart, Shutdown (automatic after 60
seconds), or Cancel. See http://i.imgur.com/lLPoL.png

+1 also.

Login Items (Startup Applications) has only a very narrow, power user
use case especially in its current condition. I have never used it for
anything useful. For power users, it's easily findable in the Dash.

Agreed.

Since Bluetooth has its own menu, it definitely should not be in the
system menu. Many computers don't have bluetooth support anyway.
Honestly, I strongly question the need to have direct links here to
individual panels of System Settings. The most common options (Power,
Bluetooth, Sound, etc.) already are consistently at the bottom of
their respective menus. Displays also should just work for most
people; for others, set once and then always work.

Bluetooth will either move to the new menu, or stay special-cased on the panel, not both.

Devices sounds like it should also include the ability to unmount
removable drives, but perhaps this is a conflict with the Places Lens
thing.

We might drop the launcher visibility of mounted drives, based on user testing.

I very much like having System Settings at the top of the system menu
and the Lock/Sleep/Power options at the buttom. I also like the
Software Updates status incorporated into the system menu.

Thanks :-)

Mark