Re: [Ayatana] Comments on the Device & User Menu specs

2011/8/2 Jeremy Bicha <jbicha@xxxxxxxxxx>
If the desire is to reduce menu
option clutter, I suggest keeping the option as Shut Down (or Power
Off might be a good descriptive alternative). And then use a pop-up
like Gnome Shell to allow Restart, Shutdown (automatic after 60
seconds), or Cancel. See http://i.imgur.com/lLPoL.png

Sounds good :)

Moving on to the user menu, Online Accounts is not a very useful menu
item.

For me the UserMenu seems to be the new MeMenu → most people won't use it because it contains none useful items for them but takes "a lot of screen space". I would prefer an 'Accounts' entry in the SystemMenu to switch to other accounts and in the system settings an entry 'Online Accounts' (since I have to configure it only once - there is no need to access it often).

For the device section of the SystemMenu I suggest to use icons and put them in a row (saves space - same functionality). Most times you know the devices plugged into your computer so an icon will indicate it sufficiently without cluttering the menu to much.

Kind Regards
Thibaut