Re: [Ayatana] The new Orange-Ubuntu-Button on the Launcher

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 2:20 PM, M. Adnan Quaium
<adnan.quaium@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> With the recent Unity update, the Ubuntu's 'circle of friends' button has
> changed it's place from the left of the top panel to the top of the
> Launcher. It seems a great move to me if the usability is considered. But to
> my view, there is one problem with the new arrangement. I don't think the
> Ubuntu-Button on the launcher is flashing it's importance properly to the
> user. Let me explain it
>
> The launcher is the place for launch applications. From the stack of the
> several app-buttons in the launcher, the Ubuntu-button is not
> distinguishable and easily clickable. But it should be 'more focused' (or
> flashy) as it is the 'start' button for almost everything in Ubuntu. So it
> should be designed in such a way that at the first glance the user must know
> this is the 'center for everything'. With the current interface, if a newbie
> starts the Ubuntu for the first time, unless he is familiar with the
> Big-Orange-Ubuntu-Button, he'll be confused with a series of squared-buttons
> in the launcher as well as which one to click for starting his work! I think
> the Ubuntu-button in the launcher doesn't shout at the user - "Click Me,
> Dear!"
>
> The button should be stand out from the other buttons in the launcher. Take
> an example of Windows, where the Windows logo button is placed quarter way
> outside the bottom panel and which successfully catches the proper attention
> of the user. Well ... no need to follow Windows, may be we can figure out a
> more attractive way to make the Ubuntu-button more distinguishable from the
> other launcher buttons. Remember, Ubuntu-Button is not an app button like
> the rest of the launcher buttons, rather it is the heart of the usability of
> Ubuntu, the starting point of using Ubuntu. So the button must be made stand
> out from the rest of the launcher buttons.
>
> But, how can we make it more distinguishable than others? I've some
> suggestions:
>
> 1. May be we can introduce an animated spinning Ubuntu-logo (like a wheel)
> which spins all the time to attract the user and stops spinning at mouse
> hovering. Or a 3D rotating Ubuntu-button can be introduced.
> 2. The button may have a glowing effect all the time. As the other Launcher
> buttons does not have a glowing effect, it surely can catch the attention of
> a user.
> 3. Or the Ubuntu-button can be much bigger than the rest of the buttons
> (well ... then it would be a Windows idea).
> 4. May be a separator can be put in between the Ubuntu buttons and the rest
> of the buttons.
> 5. Any more idea? Anyone?

I think this is a great point. I'm not a big fan of adding motion by
default, as I think it would be too distracting when you're trying to
work, but there ought to be some solution.

Just off the top of my head, how about making the button circular? The
logo is the perfect-circle 2-d ubuntu logo, but it's still sitting in
one of the default square launcher boxes. If the launcher-box was made
circular for that one item then that would at least distinguish it
from any other launcher items that might exist.

Cheers,
Evan