Re: [Ayatana] The new Orange-Ubuntu-Button on the Launcher

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 3:50 PM, Dylan McCall <dylanmccall@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm sure it's getting a different style at some point, but the use of
> the Ubuntu logo seems a little odd to me with it in the launcher. I'm
> already running Ubuntu, so why would I click to run it again? It kind
> of works against the feel of the launcher at the moment. Would
> something like a Plus sign (“add another application”) make sense
> here?

I dunno. It's not necessarily indicative of good design, but Vista and
7 both use the Windows logo for their start button. Mac, AFAIK,
doesn't really have an equivalent to compare with.

A plus button seems to me too limited in intent for use here - it's
pretty firmly attached to creating things, and it would be confusing I
think to use it to open things as well, which the dash lets you do.

You raise an interesting point about the choice of icon, but I can't
honestly think of anything better. It isn't a clearly definable action
(the dash is very flexible, which I think is good), but that means
that there isn't an icon people associate with it (the way that people
tend to associate plus with create, and minus with delete). Certainly
something to think about though.

Cheers,
Evan