Re: [Ayatana] We need AppLauncher screen edge alignment configuration!

2011/8/22 Owas Lone <hello@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi Niklas,

You have some valid points here BUT this problem has already been
solved. In fact, it was solved in the first version of Unity. The
solution is autohide. Launcher autohides by default on Ubunut making
it effectively disappear and give all the space to the app.

Autohide is a hack, not a solution. I use a hybrid configuration on my workstation (one rotated monitor, one normal) and Unity looks hideous on the rotated monitor. It's visually unbalanced and takes up a huge amount of the (scarce) horizontal screen estate. Please try it out for a few moments to see how bad it looks.

My "solution" is to set the unrotated monitor as the primary monitor (the launcher always appears on the primary monitor) but that's also a hack, not a solution.

My preferred solution would be to have the launcher autodetect monitor rotation (taking account multiple monitors in hybrid configurations) and adjust itself so it appears correctly. It would also be nice if we could choose which monitor it would appear in, rather than doing windows-like hacks like changing primary monitors so the the primary is always on the left.