Re: [Ayatana] make adding ppas easier

On 09/05/2011 07:47 AM, Christian Rupp wrote:
This is a good thing, but will this programs and others be updated to the newest version or have we still to wait half a year for the next version of ubuntu?
I usually want to have only certain applications updated beyond the versions available in the Ubuntu repositories, almost always because of a new feature or bug fix that has been added. I don't care about the rest of the software; in fact, I would prefer the other programs to remain as stable as possible.

What would be ideal, IMO, would be a check box in the software center for each application that would say something like: "Always update to the newest program version available (may be less stable)."

I don't know how this would work under the hood (selective access to the backports repository, perhaps), but it would make life much easier for the person who absolutely must have the latest version of Ardour or GIMP, and would help discourage people from adding potentially dangerous PPAs to their systems.

-~Chris