Re: [Ayatana] New proposal for Unity: Launcher and left of top panel (w/ mockups)

2011/9/6 Kévin PEIGNOT <winniemiel05@xxxxxxxxx>
I love this way.
In my way, it solve the problem expressed by design test (users try to use home icon to open the Dash), and the problem I actually have (and I think lot of people have) that the Dash button isn't in the corner as it was in 11.04 it's more difficult to use with the mouse.

I hope design team will hear this for 12.04, because it's (for me) the biggest design problem in Unity actually.

Interestingly enough, it's the exact opposite for me. I find that I don't use the old or the new BFB all that much, because I tend to invoke the Dash through the meta key. (That's in part because the button feels/reacts slow to mouse clicks, because it waits for the mouse up event).

To me, by far the most important design issue right now is that I cannot easily hit the X (close) button on maximized windows (this will be fixed, as far as I know). The Dash icon doesn't get really as much use here, so I'm perfectly fine with its current location.

That said, the proposal in this thread is pretty intriguing (i.e. having the Launcher push or cover the top panel when it appears). I don't know how well it would work in practice, but it is an interesting way to marry the previous with the current BFB implementation.