Re: [Ayatana] Software center icon needs designers minds, and new humanity desktop methafor.

I don't think people necessarily associate shopping bags with paid apps. People using Android (Which uses a bag as it's icon) tend to get more free apps than paid ones. They still use the Market icon, which looks like a shopping bag. I very rarely see any Android users opening up the browser to go to the internet and look for some free .apks.

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 18:40, gespertino@xxxxxxxxx <gespertino@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2011/9/6 Eylem Koca <eylemkoca@xxxxxxxxx>:
> How about putting the U with the downward arrow
> (http://ubuntuone.com/30SgZIkoCLbxKWGhS2CUpY) on the side of the bag?

Don't. Please.
I pointed an alternative to show that it is possible to come up with
something different than a shopping bag in a simple, readable manner.
Stuffing this simpler idea on an already cluttered icon with serious
problems in small sizes won't help.
If the meaning of the bag alone isn't enough to communicate the idea,
then it's not matter of adding elements to the bag, but to think a
difference alternative.
Remember that an icon needs to be as clear as possible to communicate
its function in different sizes. Simplicity favours that.
I'm so against the bag icon not because I think commerce is bad. I'm
against it because shopping apps ISN'T the primary function of our
software centre.
Other appstores have a strong commercial presence with several
freebies. Our "store" is quite different: we have lots of free
applications and very few commercial ones.
This can change in the future, of course, but in the meantime, the
icon communicate "enter here to buy applications" when it's not the
case.
Without an explaination, people could dismiss that icon thinking "I
don't want to buy applications, I'll go to the internet and see where
I can get some free .exes" :-p