Re: [Ayatana] How to disable Music "Available for Purchase"

On 13 October 2011 00:40, Ian Santopietro <isantop@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I also don't see a problem with the internet being hit with this search,
> purely from a privacy point of view. I do however agree that the user should
> be in control with all information sent over the internet. That's not a
> privacy concern, that's a 'empowering the user' concern. This disempowers
> the user.

This doesn't disempower the user at all. The user is still in full
control of their system, and can (easily) remove the scope should they
not want the data sent out. To the majority of users, the scope
provides a useful service that does much more harm than good, and
continues to empower the user, albeit in a different way.

Easily is not defined by manually uninstalling a package that the user may or may not know about (I would presume that the majority of casual users wouldn't even know how to uninstall a package, let alone know what the name is, how to figure out the name, how to uninstall it, the impact of uninstalling it). This to me is the primary concern with this change. I'm not a novice or casual user but there is no way I would have known about uninstalling anything to turn it off without being subscribed to this email list. I wouldn't even know how to uninstall the package without googling first.

I don't see any problem with providing such functionality or sending it over the internet. My problem is providing a mechanism that is easy for users to understand and access to turn internet posting off.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing a small cog icon somewhere in a lens to change the preferences for the behaviour of the lens. If that doesn't clutter the interface that is. Failing that, it should be an option in a configuration/preferences application for the lenses.