mugle-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Mixing tabs and spaces

> I always make sure tabs are converts to 4 spaces in all my IDEs. Are we
> meant to change to 8 spaces?

No, 4 spaces is good. If you changed it to 8 spaces now, and opened MUGLE,
your eyes would probably fall out of your head.

I'm not talking about the "each tab shows as X spaces" rule, but the
"automatically convert tabs into X spaces" rule -- these are usually two
different rules in a text editor. One keeps tabs, but shows them with a
certain width; the other actually replaces tabs with spaces.

I don't mind having to see clean code, but I actually haven't bothered
> cleaning it up all the time (only done it when it seems too messy).

Well if you set your editor properly, it shouldn't be a problem. I don't
have Eclipse installed on this machine so I can't see exactly what settings
to use, but there must be a way to tell it to convert all tabs to spaces.

So I'm OK in installing that plugin. Also, is there a max length per line
> you want us to use? To be honest, I usually don't check the max length, so
> if we are to adhere to this, can we have a proper max character length or
> something like 80?

I usually use 78, but I don't care about it nearly as much as the tabs
issue. MUGLE has quite a few very long lines, but I'm happy to live with
them, which is why I just set it to a warning. You can just take that rule
out of the file.