Re: Strategy/Direction for Multi-touch

Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 10:11:04AM +0000, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
>>> Yep, right here:
>>>
>>>  https://edge.launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/multitouch/
>> Excellent, I've pocket-copied the kernel over there.
>
> Talking to Rafi it seems we need yet another as yet not-mainlined patch
> to get n-trig to work again.  So I've pulled that into my tree and
> pushed an updated kernel to the multitouch PPA.
>
> Let me know if you get to test it.

To clarify:

Patch and acceptance (to Jiri's hid branch) on the 10'th.

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-input/msg07494.html
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-input/msg07499.html

Just hasn't worked its way up.

The patches after .32 were targeted at restoring pen and touch to the more recent firmwares.

The few the went in around mid feb have been mainlined (.34-rc1, not .33 as I previously thought).
I and a number of others used that version for nearly a month across a wide range of firmware
versions, though only with the -wacom driver.

The patch on 3/10 was a response to protocol bug that was found by Henrik which would have been
caught if people had used the evdev driver, which is the default in lucid (and I was not using at
the time).  This patch has not been as thoroughly tested.  I have been using it, and have received
some feedback that as expected -wacom users so no change and -evdev works.

As these patches are actually required for all the more recent versions of the firmware, for basic
functionality, they should be put in the release kernel and not left to a ppa.

In addition, the release version of the -wacom driver explicitly rejects non-wacom devices.  Not
particularly friendly since that's the lucid default for handling the n-trig pen sensor.  Again,
this patch: http://www.ofb.net/~rafi/xf86-input-wacom_ntrig_2010_02_03.patch should be applied to
the release version of the driver, not just the mt ppa.

Sorry if I was unclear about these before.  I hadn't realized the patches were seen to be for mt
support (ironically, without the updates to hid-ntrig, mt might be the only thing that works for
some users).

Rafi