Re: n-trig updates

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 06:09:40PM -0400, Rafi Rubin wrote:

> Just an FYI, Stéphane and I have been seeing an odd behavior where the n-trig
> hardware stops sending events.  The devices look like they should be functioning
> normally and just show no sign of activity (no events coming down from the usb
> device).
>
> I've seen this behavior twice now, the first time just after changing the
> firmware, and it didn't register, and a second time just yesterday.  I have not
> had a chance to figure out how to encourage it to fail more regularly.
>
> Stéphane has been seeing it more regularly since a firmware update on his HP
> last week.  Hopefully its deterministic enough to identify the source and a
> solution quickly.
>

> We just want you to be aware there is a potential problem.
>

> On a side note we are both wondering if there is (and where to find) a
> wiki/table of known hardware and its characteristics (physical/supported
> features, stability testing status, etc).
>
> Rafi

Thanks for the update on this Rafi, I don't have a multi-touch (yet) but I have seen some similar behaviour on a regular touchpad lately. I wonder if similar problems are occuring on both architectures. It seems to be like a hardware interrupt (the thing responsible for sending the x,y coordinates after some z seconds) is unable to send those through the buffer. But without the architecture its not possible to say if that's exactly it.

About the wiki that you were talking about, there are a couple of wikis on different hardwares that are present but none on the current state of how they work, one of the ways I can think of collecting more info. would be checking mailing lists like this one. I will look into opensolaris and freebsd side to see if I get anything useful.

--
Regards,
Vikram Dhillon

There is poetry and there is beauty in real sympathy; but there is more — there is action. The noblest and most powerful form of sympathy is not merely the responsive tear, the echoed sigh, the answering look; it is the embodiment of the sentiment in actual help.