How make Maverick usable with Touch ?

Hello everyone,

I've been talking to Dunkan, and he ask me to write my concerns/wishes
for future development and user interaction. So here we are.

I don't known exactly how canonical see the future of Maverick, but if
we want ubuntu usable for Tablet, lot of things must be done :)

- Unity: under development ? what are the plan on that ? What feedback
  did you planned ?

- Florence: i've read that florence is going to be the default keyboard
  for ubuntu. Am i wrong ? If yes, florence is really not usable.
  Really. Once good thing we must learn coming from our beloved Apple..
  When you open the keyboard, the application window is adjusted to not
  hide the focused text input. Maybe an integration between unity /
  florence is required here.

- Florence: prediction. Boulabiar said that they are lot of patent on
  that, but still, be productive = introduce algorithm to enhance people
  writing. In PyMT, we've got spelling keyboard... and it's not
  sufficient. Library like enchant (mean aspell/ispell) is doing
  auto-correction and suggestion, but don't care about the context. And
  that's make thing just unusable.

- Theming: having a touch-usable GTK theme is required. I don't remember
  where i got the microsoft document about UI, but they are designing UI
  like a button require 10mm height, spacing between elements should be
  7mm.. Whatever is the screen size. Your finger are not smaller if you
  increase your resolution :)

- GTK: patch to add some new behavior ? Like list, it would be nice to
  remove that ugly scrollbar, and permit scroll just by touching.

- Firefox plugin: ubuntu have already a plugin installed by default for
  firefox. Is it possible to enhance it ? Like adding scrolling with
  touch by default, better theming for tabs (specially the cross button
  to close a tab..)

- All app: even if GTK is not ready for MT, it should be ok to do
  alternative UI for touch no ? One thing we've learn with PyMT is that
  classical UI is really not good for touch (for eg: Rhythmbox can b
  enhanced to add plugin for custom touch UI)

It's just some ideas. Feel free to comment !

--
Mathieu
http://pymt.eu/