Re: Peter Hutterer's thoughts on MT in X

On 10/09/2010 01:11 PM, Peter Hutterer wrote:
[...]

>> In both cases, the feedback is required in sub-100ms, before a real
>> gesture has kicked off.
>
> in order to provide feedback for a rotation as you say above you need to detect
> the gesture within 100ms. The real latency to address is between user input and
> gesture detection + feedback, regardless of when the gesture _action_ happens.
> That also implies that you may have to detect a gesture way before you can
> decide which action is appropriate for this gesture.
>
> (maybe that's what you meant anyway, the wording reads a bit ambiguous to me)

I believe we are all very synchronized on this point. The thing missing from the
current framework is the actual feedback bit. We've got the latency under
control, we've got the notion of gesture primitives that allow us to detect
rotation before we commit to it being rotation. What we need is the UI part that
allows us to see something happening.

Cheers,
Henrik