Re: Fwd: GEIS 2.0 specification

On Sat, 2010-10-09 at 14:28 +0200, Henrik Rydberg wrote:
> On 10/08/2010 06:49 PM, Stephen M. Webb wrote:
> > I would create a default recognizer built on utouch-grail, but the next
> > step (geis 2.1?) would be to provide a programmable recognizer, somewhat
> > akin to the shaders available in 3D graphics rendering pipelines.
>
> > Applications can load programmable gesture recognizers dynamically, and
> > can have different recognizers for different screen regions or input
> > devices.  The programmable recognizers can emit the user-defined events
> > mentioned above.
>

> I think the idea of multiple recognizers avoids the fact that every single
> multitouch example the past ten years easily fits into a single 300-line
> recognizer. Mouse gestures form a separate category. I simply do not see
> multiple recognizers as a big deal - I would much rather have a nice, working
> interface on my computer.

I tend to agree with Henrik here. Pluggable gesture recognizers is nice,
but I don't see it as a necessity or even something that will likely be
used very frequently. I think we should keep it in mind for a possible
revision to geis (2.1 maybe?), but not as a core piece of functionality
we should spend time on right now. I'm afraid we've already got too much
on our plate :).

-- Chase