Re: Testing M-t without HW

On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 07:42 +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 12:30:37PM -0400, Chase Douglas wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 15:46 +0200, Henrik Sandklef wrote:
> > > The new version of GNU Xnee should have support for MT:
> > >
> > >     http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/xnee/xnee-3.07.tar.gz
> > >     http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/xnee/xnee-3.07.tar.gz.sig
> >
> > Cool!
> >
> > Can you describe how this differs from evtest-capture recording as Peter
> > wrote here:
> >
> > http://who-t.blogspot.com/2009/11/evtest-capture-and-replaying-events.html
>
> it's on a different level. evtest-capture records kernel events and replays
> them through uinput.
>
> xnee records X events (through the RECORD extension) and then replays them
> through (I think the Xtest extension). No kernel involved.

That's what I had thought as well, which confused me. There's no MT
support in X yet, so how does Xnee now have MT support?

We (Canonical) haven't had a chance yet to build a test harness for our
utouch stack, but it's going to be one of my main tasks for the next
couple weeks. I'll be looking into Xnee, evtest-capture, and the test
tool that Henrik has been hacking up. If Xnee is at the X level it may
be too high up for what we want. We need something we can feed events
through as though they came from a real device, with all the quirks that
a real device may offer, like ghosted or dropped touches.

-- Chase