Re: [RFC XI 2.1] current issues

On 12/07/2010 05:48 PM, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> [...]

The server should have debugging symbols: xserver-xorg-core-dbg. The
driver modules do not, I can look into adding them if others feel they
are important, but I have a feeling that the server is the one you are
really needing?

>>> I have nothing to do with the PPA, sorry: I run Debian, and only test
>>> against master.  As for the crash, I don't have a Magic Trackpad either,
>>> but will try to get my hands on one.
>>
>> I would like to be able to test latest versions of the XI2.1 changes
>> from time to time, and the easiest way (at least for me :P) is the
>> ubuntu ppa with binaries. The last time I tried to compile modular
>> xorg using the wiki and provided shell scripts I failed miserably.
>
> there's been a tremendous amount of work done on the build scripts to get
> xorg from master up and running. that, and git master is actually quite
> usable these days, I haven't seen any real showstoppers for ages. the
> situation has really improved.

There's three main concerns I have. The first is that usability of
master really depends on when you start working. I started working after
a video driver ABI bump but before any drivers were updated, so I
couldn't run X server master at all. We're past the merge window though,
so this probably isn't a big deal anymore.

Next, we want to encourage people to try out the X work, especially
developers who will use the new features. We need all the bug reports
and suggestions we can get at this stage, and providing a low barrier
for entry is key.

Lastly, and this is partly of our own doing, I think there's a patch or
two that add Ubuntu-specific options to X that are required to have it
work in Ubuntu. I am hoping this will be less of an issue now that we
have two full-time Ubuntu X maintainers who can work to decrease the
patch delta, but I believe this was the second show stopper I faced when
trying to use X master source a few months ago.

For the above reasons, mostly the second, I'll continue to maintain the
PPA for people to use. We need it internally for our other developers to
work on the gesture stack anyways.

-- Chase