XI2.1 setup

Hi everyone,
Let me start off by congratulating all the guys who have been working on the
multitouch stack in the Xserver. amazing work !
I recently got my hands on a multitouch capable touchdevice which sends out
events with the type A MT protocol. I have since begun to try and get
multitouch working on it with the help of the mtdev->evdev->X stack.
But i have faced a couple of major issues which i was hoping someone on the
list could help me out with.

Issue 1 : the event logs from the xinput test app seem a little strange
EVENT type 21 (TouchMotion)
    device: 2 (6)
    detail: 9
    flags:
    root: 54.27/57.28
    event: 54.27/57.28
    buttons:
    modifiers: locked 0 latched 0 base 0 effective: 0
    group: locked 0 latched 0 base 0 effective: 0
    valuators:
        0: 60.00
    windows: root 0x43 event 0x200001 child 0x200002
EVENT type 21 (TouchMotion)
    device: 2 (6)
    detail: 9
    flags:
    root: 54.27/58.34
    event: 54.27/58.34
    buttons:
    modifiers: locked 0 latched 0 base 0 effective: 0
    group: locked 0 latched 0 base 0 effective: 0
    valuators:
        3: 65.00
    windows: root 0x43 event 0x200001 child 0x200002
EVENT type 21 (TouchMotion)
    device: 2 (6)
    detail: 9
    flags:
    root: 55.37/59.40
    event: 55.37/59.40
    buttons:
    modifiers: locked 0 latched 0 base 0 effective: 0
    group: locked 0 latched 0 base 0 effective: 0
    valuators:
        2: 120.00
        3: 66.00
    windows: root 0x43 event 0x200001 child 0x200002
As we can see from the logs, some events have only one valuator while others
have more than that. The expected number of valuators would be the number of
valuators sent by the device which is 4. Please correct me if i am wrong
here.

Issue 2 :  We do not get the TouchEnd event after we lift the finger from
the screen.
EVENT type 21 (TouchMotion)
    device: 2 (6)
    detail: 9
    flags:
    root: 56.47/61.52
    event: 56.47/61.52
    buttons:
    modifiers: locked 0 latched 0 base 0 effective: 0
    group: locked 0 latched 0 base 0 effective: 0
    valuators:
        2: 122.00
        3: 68.00
    windows: root 0x43 event 0x200001 child 0x200002
This is the log for the last event that xinput gets from the server.

Issue 3 : XServer crashes randomly on touch input.
[dix] EventToXI2: Not implemented for 0

Fatal server error:
[Xi] Mouse: XI2 conversion failed in DeliverOneTouchEvent (17)

I have compiled all the sources for the XI2.1 mentioned on the
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Multitouch/XDevelopment page.
I have used the mtdev1.0.11 version.

Hoping for some help from the community.
Thanks,

--
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build
bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning

Maverick

Follow ups