Re: A new release of xi 2.1 + utouch stack in xorg-unstable ppa

On 07/02/11 11:20, Henrik Rydberg wrote:
> There is an important difference in the handling of prolonged gestures
> in this environment, which seems to imply that not all basic
> application gesture needs can be met with this approach.
>
> With the maverick X drivers (synaptics and multitouch), it is natural
> to position the cursor with one finger, and then add another finger to
> scroll a bit, life one finger to position the cursor again, and so
> on. The same goes for zooming, where one first positions the cursor,
> then zooms at that point.
>
> With the new natty XI2.1 packages, the gesture engine releases control
> over a touch based on a timeout, passing it on to the application in
> such a way that the modus operandi described above no longer is
> possible. In practise, one might need to view the server-side
> recognition as dedicated to system gestures, and instead reimplement
> the current application behavior on the client side.

This is a function of the fact that you can do two very different things
with your finger: move the pointer, or interact with content/gesture. I
think we could special case that in pointer-based environments like the
desktop, so that single-finger pointer moving actions come to an end
when additional fingers are brought to bear, at which point a gesture is
begun. Would that address the issue?

Mark