Re: tablets and auto-rotation

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Private-sparsha-dev] tablets and auto-rotation
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 15:38:17 +0200
From: Alberto Milone <alberto.milone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Duncan M. McGreggor <duncan.mcgreggor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: Rick Spencer <rick.spencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,        Bryce Harrington
<bryce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,        Sparsha Dev
<private-sparsha-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On 28 June 2010 14:00, Duncan M. McGreggor
<duncan.mcgreggor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2010, at 5:43 PM, Rafi Rubin wrote:
>>
>> I wrote a rotation wrapper that adjusts the parameters for both wacom and
>> evdev
>> ntrig pointers along with xrandr:
>>
>> http://ofb.net/~rafi/xrotate.zsh
>>
>> Its really a matter of where to put it.  The author of easystroke also
>> wrote a
>> tiny little daemon that monitors xrandr events and updates all wacom
>> devices, in
>> the worst case, we could cannibalize/extend that.  But during the UDS (or
>> some
>> time around then), someone mentioned using gconf, or something else
that's
>> already part of the standard set of running stuff to handle this.  Either
>> way,
>> we should get back to the desktop people and make sure they integrate the
>> auto-adjustments (something which had slipped my mind).
>>
>> Rafi
>
> Rick, Bryce, Alberto, Neil, or David -- do you guys have any insight
on this
> problem and any current plans to address it for Maverick?
>
> If there are none, who is the best person to work with to get it
addressed?

> Thanks,

Hi Duncan,

I couldn't attend the UDS but I know that Federico Mena Quintero (at
Novell) was working on this in a separate branch of the
gnome-settings-daemon but he hasn't committed anything upstream yet (I
guess he's focusing on different projects):
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-settings-daemon/log/?h=randr-rotate-wacom-tablet

As Rafi said, this solution also involves setting a gconf key to tell
the daemon whether we want it to rotate input devices or not when
screens are rotated.

Currently Federico's code makes use of the xsetwacom tool instead of
using Xinput (which is what we need). I'm very familiar with the
gnome-settings-daemon code and, if there's enough interest at
Canonical, I'm available to work on it but I don't own any Ntrig
touchscreen and I can't use my Stantum tablet because it doesn't work
with xinput Calibration.

Let me know.

Regards,

--