mylvmbackup-discuss team mailing list archive

Re: Possible Alternative to LVM

Hi,

On 01/05/2009 06:49 PM, Michael M. wrote:

> I'm assuming it is, as it seems to be based off of the same codebase that
> the backup software they put out uses (which is point in time consistent.
>
> I know that the backup server builds a kernel module, and from what I'm
> reading, so does hcp. (Again, speaking of the backup software here, but I
> assume hcp works the same): The kernel module sits between the filesystem
> and the block device.
>
> The info page for hcp claims:
>
> Consistent Point-in-Time Snapshots
> Hot Copy very quickly and efficiently puts even the busiest file systems
> into a totally consistent state for brief instant to take a point-in-time
> snapshot.

Interesting. In this case it should not be too hard to implement a snapshot
module for mylvmbackup that uses this technology. I've added a blueprint for
this to Launchpad:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/mylvmbackup/+spec/mylvmbackup-support-hcp

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look at it!

Bye,
	LenZ
 Lenz Grimmer <lenz@xxxxxxxxxxx>                             -o)
 [ICQ: 160767607 | Jabber: LenZGr@xxxxxxxxxx]                /\\