mysql-proxy-discuss team mailing list archive

Re: New option --max-open-files

Hi!

On Jan 16, 2009, at 8:58 AM, Joshua Zhu wrote:

Hmm... convenient option.
However, the length of MySQL Proxy's command line is getting longer
for a user to type (given a few backends to set), not only because the
options have only long names, but also MySQL Proxy can be armed with
many plugins which may import more options.

I agree, it's getting out of hand :)

Two suggestions:
i) Treat the configuration file as the right place where options
should be set (I know MySQL Proxy _does_ support this). At least tell
people this is the recommended way. When MySQL Proxy has some _rules_
to set, this will help.

Not sure what you mean by "rules", but generally I tend to use different config files for testing different things. Much more convenient and less repetitive especially for the array options, like backends.

One convenient thing to note here: Using both a config file and giving options on the command line will cause the command line stuff to override the config file. Very helpful for increasing the log-level for example :)

ii) Use Lua as the configuration language, which is more flexible and
more powerful than GLib's GKeyFile.

I really don't want to allow people to use a programming language as a config option, mainly because I've seen some horrible stuff happen when they figure out they can write actual code in there :) config should be for settings only, and application (== lua script) settings are already in the script, which sometimes is not pretty either.

What use case do you have in mind? Off-hand I can't see the need for scripting the proxy/chassis options, but maybe I'm overlooking something.

In the end, I think we need to come up with short names for the most often used options, although there is the danger of colliding short names from different plugins. I'd like to think it would pick the first occurrence, but in fact I'm not sure what will happen.

I've included it here: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/mysql-proxy/+spec/chassis-short-option-names

cheers,
-k
--
Kay Roepke
Software Engineer, MySQL Enterprise Tools

Sun Microsystems GmbH    Sonnenallee 1, DE-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Thomas Schroeder, Wolfang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer
Vorsitz d. Aufs.rat.: Martin Haering                    HRB MUC 161028