mysql-proxy-discuss team mailing list archive

mysql proxy IMPROVING performance?

Hi everyone,
I've come across a puzzling discovery while trying to test a baseline.
 Here's our setup: we make a connection from a python script to a local
MySQL database through MySQL Proxy.  We're using MySQL proxy with the funnel
modification (but I'm not sure that matters).  We are sure our queries are
actually going through the proxy to the database (they aren't being
reflected back by a Lua script).

Bizarrely enough, some of our queries are running FASTER with MySQL Proxy in
the middle than if we were just directly connecting to the database.  This
doesn't seem to make sense -- the system with the proxy is doing strictly
more work.

Does anyone know why this is happening?  Have you seen this before?  We've
gone over our measurement system repeatedly and can't find bugs (but of
course there may still be bugs).  One thought is that MySQL Proxy is loading
some library it shares with MySQL into memory and thereby pre-fetching the
library for MySQL...but I don't know if that makes sense since the MySQL
server is always running in the background anyway.

We'd appreciate thoughts.

Thanks!
Adrienne

Follow ups