netplan-developers team mailing list archive

Re: ifupdown2 renderer for netplan

On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 3:09 PM, Julien Fortin
<julien@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Mathieu!
>
> I'm Julien Fortin, debian maintainer of ifupdown2
> (https://packages.debian.org/stretch/ifupdown2). Ifupdown2 is a python
> re-write of ifupdown. It comes with many new features and bug fixes (vxlans,
> vrfs, templating, interface dependencies etc...) while keeping backward
> compatibility with ifupdown syntax.
>
> We would like to offer netplan support to our community by adding a new
> ifupdown2 renderer to netplan.
> I'm ready to get my hands dirty and write C code to implement the ifupdown2
> renderer, I just need some guidance :)

I'm familiar with ifupdown2, I have seen presentations about it at
DebConf (and possibly elsewhere) in the past.

There isn't much to writing a backend, you want to update
src/generate.c to make sure things can be pushed to your backend (in
nd_iterator()), and everything else in one file for the methods that
will write the configuration. You will also need to update parse.{c,h}
to allow the new backend name to be recognized.

The rest depends on how you'll write the configuration itself; but
your function will be passed a net_definition object which contains
all the details about a single interface.

Kindly,

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu.tl@xxxxxxxxx>
Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: mathieu.tl@xxxxxxxxx
4096R/65B58DA1 818A D123 0992 275B 23C2  CF89 C67B B4D6 65B5 8DA1