From: David Manuel Pires
Sent: 12/10/13 07:39 PM
To: newdocs
Subject: Re: [Newdocs] The B page and forum wiki discussion posting schedule

Hi all.

On 10 December 2013 02:31, Leigh Tate < leigh.tate@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:

I've just started checking the links on the B page. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/B&lang=en  In all the lovely changes we've lost the "Back to NewDocs" link. Could we pretty please have it back?

You achieve the same purpose with the banner on the bottom of each page, Leigh.
The link was replaced by the banner merely for consistency and aesthetic reasons.

Anyway, here's what I found.

OUTDATED PAGES
BitTorrent https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BitTorrent  (last edited 2008-10-12)
Brasero  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Brasero  (last edited 2008-10-12 )
BootFromCD https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromCD  (last edited 2011-08-26 )
BootFromUSB/PageDiscussion https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromUSB/PageDiscussion  (last edited 2010-09-29)
BackupYourSystem/SimpleBackupSuite https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem/SimpleBackupSuite  (last edited 2011-06-15) also contains cautionary note (should be tagged, but I wasn't sure with which tag)
Beginners  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Beginners (last edited 2008-12-13)

There is another question about Beginners https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Beginners&lang=en , however, it is an index.
It has three child pages also listed on NewDocs which can be removed
Beginners / Bash Scripting, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Beginners/BashScripting&lang=en
Beginners / Guide / Terms https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Glossary&lang=en
Beginners Team https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam&lang=en  (which we may want to keep anyway)

but there may be other problems with it. For example #13 Beginners / Guide / Terms https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Glossary&lang=en  has an alternate #15 Glossary. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Glossary?highlight=%28Beginners%2F%29&lang=en  Both link to the same page.

Besides the subpages of I mentioned above, there are a number of child pages that can be removed since we already have the parent page listed.

SimpleBackupSuite https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem/SimpleBackupSuite  (last edited 2011-06-15)
BackupYourSystem/Tar https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem/TAR
Bacula https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bacula
Are all child pages of BackupYour System https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem  and can be removed.

BinaryDriverHowto/Sis https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Sis
BinaryDriverHowto/ATI https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI
BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia
are all child pages of BinaryDriverHowto https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/  and can be removed. BinaryDriverHowto https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/  is also tagged as a duplicate but I don't know of what.

TAGGED PAGES (all tagged 'content cleanup required')
BIND9ServerHowto  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BIND9ServerHowto
BluetootSetup  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BluetoothSetup

And here's a candidate for one of the newly suggested tags.
BuildnewestversionofBluefishforUbuntu https://help.ubuntu.com/community  - last release was tested was Ubuntu 12.04.

Actually there haven't been a decision on the new tags yet by the documentation team, so I don't think it is wise to used them for now.

Unless someone thinks otherwise, I'll remove the child pages, and move the outdated and tagged pages to their appropriate areas in ToBeReviewed https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ToBeReviewed&lang=en .

+1 on that.

My two questions then are
1 - what do we want to do about Beginners https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Beginners&lang=en  ?

IMO, it's a candidate for removal from NewDocs as most of the links listed on it are one way or the other already listed in NewDocs.

2 - when should I do the update on the forum wiki discussion thread. The last I recall, Geoff has a post upcoming on Dec 15. Is that correct? When do you want me to post this? (I'll make adjustments to page numbers when I do the post).

Maybe in the period between Christmas and New Year. What do you think?

Cheers,
 David Pires

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/slickymaster/

Follow ups