nova-feature-parity team mailing list archive

devstack + xenserver + parity

Hey everybody -

To help get the ball rolling with the essex timeframe parity work, I've
recently added support for xs5.6 to devstack.  The goal with xs+devstack is
to make it as easy as possible to get OpenStack running with the XenServer
hypervisor.  Hopefully, with some of the gnarly configuration stuff out of
the way, it will be easier for interested devs to get involved.

The initial configuration that I created runs an all-in-one diablo domU
(dash, nova-compute, nova-net, nova-api, glance, keystone) OpenStack cloud.
 The networking configuration is ha nova-net with flatdhcp, which means
that the nova domU acts as a dhcp server and gateway for all the instances
on the host.  I thought that this would be a good configuration to start
with since there is already a blueprint for ha-net + xen, and ha-net is
generally desirable for many deployments.

Instructions to get started are here:
https://github.com/cloudbuilders/devstack/blob/master/tools/xen/README.md

If you have any issues, or any of the docs are unclear, or otherwise have
feedback/questions please let me know.

The list of feature parity blueprints is here:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/~nova-feature-parity

High       xenapi-ha-nova-network  (rcb)
Medium  instance-disk-management
Medium  libvirt-resize
Medium  xenapi-boot-from-volume
Medium  xenapi-live-migration
Medium  xs-configuration-drive
Low        vnc-console-cleanup (rcb)
Low        xenapi-provider-firewall
Undefined       compute-node-control
Undefined       disk-configuration-parity
Undefined       xenapi-text-console-support
Undefined       kvm-report-capabilities

If you are interested in working on any of these, let me know.  Right now,
I know that Salvatore is working on security groups (which doesn't show up
in the filter), and I'm focusing on ha-net and eventually vnc console
cleanup.  It would be great to get people focusing on some of the higher
priority blueprints as soon as possible.

Anthony

Follow ups