nova-feature-parity team mailing list archive

Re: Thin-cloning of disks for XenServer

FYI on the kvm side, we use the --use_cow_images flag to toggle on this behavior, so someone who sets --nouse_cow_images will get a raw image.  That said, we don't redownload the image from glance every time.  We keep a local cache of the base image and do a straight file copy instead of a cow snapshot if the flag is false. It would be great to use the same flag for xen.

Potential future changes:
a) provide two flags, one for root drive, and one for local ephemeral storage
b) allow this to be set per instance instead of globally (perhaps keyed off of instance type)
c) expose it to the user? (allow them to specify whether they want cow images or not)

Vish