Re: How to serialize a dict to XML

Hi Andy,

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Andy Smith <andyster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What is the current use case for this? If it is simply that somebody would
> prefer to parse xml than to parse json and there is not already a defined
> output format they are expecting then xmlrpclib will already dump arbitrary
> python dicts of primitives into strings

The use case is that the Rackspace API supports both XML and JSON requests,
and Nova is supposed to support the current Rackspace API spec.

>  I don't see why somebody would prefer to try to parse xml over json in
> the first place as it is slower and doesn't represent the data is
> succinctly, but if they are there is no need for us to invent any further
> data formats, xmlrpc is ugly but so is xml and there are already parsers for
> xmlrpc.

The Rackspace spec's XML output is basically the RESTful format used by Ruby
on Rails.  The good news is that this format maps closely to JSON or to a
dict; the bad news is that XML requires a bit more information than JSON, so
a regular dict won't suffice on its own.

Michael

at abuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, and delete the original message.
Your cooperation is appreciated.