nova team mailing list archive
Mailing list archive
I've proposed a merge of the orm refactor branch that a large part of the
nasa/anso team has been working on. I'm hoping everyone can pick it apart
and we end up with a really clean system that everyone likes. I've copied
the description of the change and issues below. If the mailing list debates
get too complicated, we should just organize a time to discuss it in IRC.
Proposing merge to get feedback on orm refactoring. I am very interested in
feedback to all of these changes.
This is a huge set of changes, that touches almost all of the files. I'm
sure I have broken quite a bit, but better to take the plunge now than to
postpone this until later. The idea is to allow for pluggable backends
throughout the code.
For compute/volume/network, there are multiple classes
service - responsible for rpc
this currently uses the existing cast and call in rpc.py and a little bit
to call public methods on the manager class.
each service also reports its state into the database every 10 seconds
manager - responsible for managing respective object classes
all the business logic for the classes go here
db (db_driver) - responsible for abstracting database access
driver (domain_driver) - responsible for executing actual shell commands and
Compute hasn't been fully cleaned up, but to get an idea of how it works,
take a look
at volume and network
Known issues/Things to be done:
* nova-api accesses db objects directly
It seems cleaner to have only the managers dealing with their respective
objects. This would
mean code for 'run_instances' would move into the manager class and it
would do the initial
setup and cast out to the remote service
* db code uses flat methods to define its interface
In my mind this is a little prettier as an abstract base class, but driver
can load a module or a class. It works, so I'm not sure it needs to be
changed but feel
free to debate it.
* Service classes have no code in them
Not sure if this is a problem for people, but the magic of calling the
manager's methods is
done in the base class. We could remove the magic from the base class and
wrap methods that we want to make available via rpc if this seems nasty.
* AuthManager Projects/Users/Roles are not integrated into this system.
In order for everything to live happily in the backend, we need some type
of adaptor for LDAP
* Context is not passed properly across rabbit
Context should probably be changed to a simple dictionary so that it can
passed properly through the queue
* No authorization checks on access to objects
We need to decide on which layer auth checks should happen.
* Some of the methods in ComputeManager need to be moved into other
* Compute driver layer should be abstracted more cleanly
* Flat networking is untested and may need to be reworked
* Some of the api commands are not working yet
* Nova Swift Authentication needs to be refactored(Todd is working on this)