Re: Nova in virtual appliances

Perhaps I can propose an alternative statement, having thought about this a
bit more:

The OpenStack project / organisation will only be responsible for maintaining /
testing OpenStack on a selected set of dependencies (which are likely to be
nearer to "latest and greatest" than "long-term stable").  OpenStack releases
will be with respect to that baseline.

If someone wants OpenStack to work on something older, then they'd be
responsible for making that happen (and patches that didn't adversely affect
OpenStack's architectural integrity would be welcome).

So for example, if Novell want to package OpenStack for SUSE, and SLES was
lagging behind the latest version of Python, then they'd be responsible for
fixing up any issues.  Ditto Citrix if XenServer lags.

Does that better suit the kind of thing that people are aiming for?  It's
similar to how the Xen community works: Xen.org makes releases that are
then stabilized by Novell into SUSE, Citrix into XenServer, etc.  It
becomes the responsibility of the distro if there's a software version
conflict that needs sorting out.

How does that sound?  Does that give OpenStack the flexibility it needs to
keep pressing forward, without being burdened by backwards compatibility
issues?

Cheers,

Ewan.