Re: Nova in virtual appliances

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 07:26:39PM +0100, Todd Deshane wrote:

> Hi Ewan,
>
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Ewan Mellor <ewan.mellor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  It should always be possible to run Nova in a virtual appliance.
> >
> > Note that I'm not suggesting that Nova _must_ run in a virtual appliance.  As
> > I understand it, the normal deployment model for SUSE Xen or KVM would be to
> > have a "full" control domain with all the control software in it, as opposed
> > to the "appliance" or "disaggregated" model that we're aiming for with
> > Xen Cloud Platform and XenServer.
> >
> > Does anyone object to this?  Can we adopt this as a long-term design goal?
>
> Has anyone built a OpenStack virtual appliance that you know of? I was
> planning to get OpenStack running this week I am trying to decide on
> the best platform, etc.

I'm planning to build one as part of Citrix's work on OpenStack, but it
wouldn't hurt to have a non-commercial one too.

> I would be willing start on an XCP appliance to test with and
> contribute it back as possible. Do you have a recommended/suggested
> guest OS?

I'll be using CentOS, because Citrix already has CentOS-based virtual
appliances and our domain 0 userspace is also derived from CentOS.  That will
ensure that we only have one OS to worry about in terms of in-the-field
security hotfixes etc.

OpenStack has great support from some Debian/Ubuntu developers, and a lot of
the packaging is done already.  If I were you, I'd use Squeeze or Maverick,
and that way you'll get better packages, and better support from this mailing
list.

Cheers,

Ewan.