novacut-community team mailing list archive

Announcing dmedia 0.5 "so shiny"

I'm happy to announce the 5th release of the Distributed Media
Library<https://launchpad.net/dmedia>(aka "dmedia"). At this point
dmedia is really just for developers and
*highly* adventurous end-users, but the design and implementation are both
progressing quickly.

You can download the source tarball here:
dmedia-0.5.0.tar.gz<https://launchpad.net/dmedia/trunk/0.5/+download/dmedia-0.5.0.tar.gz>

Packages are available for Ubuntu Natty in the Novacut Stable Releases
PPA<https://launchpad.net/%7Enovacut/+archive/stable>
.
What's new in dmedia 0.5

This release mostly focused on making sure the critical JavaScript in dmedia
(and Novacut) is very readable, maintainable, and backed with a boatload of
unit tests. We want to make our platform a pleasant playground for UI
designers, and this was a needed step.

Highlights include:

   - Added a JavaScript unit
tester<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Edmedia/dmedia/trunk/view/head:/dmedia/webui/js.py>that
runs in embedded WebKit and forwards assert calls to Python
   unittest.TestCase<http://docs.python.org/library/unittest.html#test-cases>
   - Added a lean JavaScript lib for talking to
CouchDB<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Edmedia/dmedia/trunk/view/head:/dmedia/webui/data/couch.js>,
   modeled after microfiber <https://launchpad.net/microfiber>, the Python3
   CouchDB "adapter" I've been experimenting with
   - Thanks to Martin Owens <http://doctormo.org/>, we have a WSGI app for
   receiving file
uploads<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Edmedia/dmedia/trunk/view/head:/dmedia/uploadserver.py>from
HTML5 capable browsers
   - Added client-side JavaScript for uploading
files<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Edmedia/dmedia/trunk/view/head:/dmedia/webui/data/uploader.js>to
above WSGI app (still a bit of work to get the two in sync, hook
   everything up)
   - Completed transition from PyGTK to
PyGI<http://www.piware.de/2011/01/na-zdravi-pygi/>(except for
GStreamer-based transcoder, will soon)

For details, see bugs fixed in the dmedia 0.5
milestone<https://launchpad.net/dmedia/+milestone/0.5>
.
Special thanks

   - A big thanks to Ian 'IZO' Cylkowski
<https://twitter.com/#%21/Hexual>for graciously offering to do a
professional
   logo and identity
design<http://www.design-by-izo.com/2010/09/02/giving-back-to-open-source/>for
Novacut, plus a big thanks to Sergey
   "Shnatsel" Davidoff <https://launchpad.net/%7Eshnatsel> for kindly
   recommending Novacut to Ian - the community has really wowed us with this
   one!
   - Thanks to the packaging efforts of Bilal
Akhtar<http://twitter.com/#%21/bilal_akhtar96>,
   dmedia 0.3 is in Natty! <http://packages.ubuntu.com/dmedia>
   - Thanks to James Raymond <https://launchpad.net/%7Ejamesmr> for the
   fantastic design work he's been doing for the Novacut player and for
   stepping up to do almost every code
review<https://code.launchpad.net/dmedia/+activereviews>
   - Thanks to Akshat Jain <https://twitter.com/#%21/akshatj_96> for
   constant hyperactive awesomeness on all fronts, like somehow telepathically
   sensing that Barry Warsaw <https://twitter.com/#%21/pumpichank> had
   joined Twitter the instant it happened
   - And thanks to Jono Bacon <https://twitter.com/#%21/jonobacon> for
   making #novacut <http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=novacut> one of
   his regular IRC hangouts

Contribute to 0.6 and beyond!

We do monthly time-based releases, always releasing on the last Thursday of
the month. That means we promise to make a release on time each month, but
never promise what exact features will land.

dmedia 0.6 will be released on Thursday April 28 2011, and development is
already underway. To see what's in store for the next release, checkout dmedia
0.6 milestone <https://launchpad.net/dmedia/+milestone/0.6>.
That's all, folks!

Thanks to everyone who is helping make this dream a reality!

Cheers,
Jason Gerard DeRose <http://twitter.com/#%21/jgderose>