novacut-community team mailing list archive

First Novacut Developer Day!

So this Saturday, August 20th, we're going to have our first Novacut
Developer Day. If you're interesting in getting involved with Novacut
development, or just want to learn more about our development process or
technology stack, please join us in the
#novacut<http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=novacut>IRC channel
(freenode).

We're planing for a 3 hour event, from 16:00 - 19:00 UTC. In some common
time zones:

   - India: 9:30PM - 12:30AM
   - London: 5PM - 8PM
   - US Eastern: Noon - 3PM
   - US Central: 11AM - 2PM
   - US Mountain: 10AM - 1PM
   - US Pacific: 9AM - Noon

If you can't make it, don't worry: the IRC logs will be available.

This developer day is going to be focused on the Python
code<http://python.org/>in our backend components, and the overall
Novacut
*service architecture*. You'll be able to ask lots of questions, and we'll
walk you through the basics step by step.

We'll have three 1-hour sessions:

   - 16:00 UTC: bzr <http://bazaar.canonical.com/> and
Launchpad<https://launchpad.net/>workflow
   - 17:00 UTC: CouchDB <http://couchdb.apache.org/>,
microfiber<https://launchpad.net/microfiber>,
   and our schema scheme
   - 18:00 UTC: Meet filestore <https://launchpad.net/filestore>, the heart
   of dmedia <https://launchpad.net/dmedia>

Ubuntu <http://www.ubuntu.com/> is our primary development platform, and so
things will be easiest if you have an Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal install
handy, even if just running in VirtualBox <http://www.virtualbox.org/>.

To be ahead of the game, you should add the Novacut Daily Builds
PPA<https://launchpad.net/%7Enovacut/+archive/daily>and install a few
things in advance, which you can do easiest by copy and
pasting these 3 commands:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:novacut/daily
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install bzr couchdb python3-microfiber python3-filestore

And you probably want to read
this<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Novacut/GetInvolved>so you have a bit
more background before Saturday.

We hope you to see you then!