novacut-community team mailing list archive

Announcing the Novacut 11.10 components

Another month, another release. This release still isn't interesting to the
end user, but that day is getting close.
Progress report

As usual, a ton of work was done on dmedia <https://launchpad.net/dmedia>.
We still don't recommend you trust your data to dmedia, but assuming it
survives the next month of testing, we'll green-light dmedia for general use
in the 11.11 release.

We made considerable progress on real-time collaboration with
CouchDB<http://couchdb.apache.org/>and
WebKit <http://webkitgtk.org/>, but we're keeping these bits under wraps for
now so we can unveil our new demos next week at the Ubuntu Developer
Summit<http://uds.ubuntu.com/>and Linaro
Connect <http://connect.linaro.org/>.

The key collaborative pieces will be split off into a standalone component
for easy reuse. I think this sort of architecture is going to truly define a
new category of app that takes full advantage of both local and cloud
computing resources while delivering a consistently great user experience
even when offline.

This month it also became clear that we should build Novacut on GStreamer
1.0 <http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/>, which will be released later this
year. GStreamer 1.0 is going to be fiercely competitive, particularly for
video editing. And hey, how about pro video editing on
ARM?<http://www.arm.com/about/newsroom/arm-discloses-technical-details-of-the-next-version-of-the-arm-architecture.php>With
GStreamer, we can be first to that party.
Special thanks

   - Thanks to Lucas McNelly <https://twitter.com/#%21/lmcnelly> for
   spending time with us when his A Year Without
Rent<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lmcnelly/a-year-without-rent>tour
brought him through Colorado. Not only did Lucas interview
   us<http://www.ayearwithoutrent.com/2011/10/conversations-with-lucas-novacut.html>,
   he let me run many design ideas by him, record him editing with FCP7, and
   even do some Ubuntu Unity user testing. Thanks!
   - Thanks to Jason Smith <https://twitter.com/#%21/_jhs> for patiently
   helping me better understand CouchDB
replication<http://docs.couchbase.org/couchdb-release-1.1/index.html#couchb-release-1.1-replicatordb>.
   If you want to start playing with real-time sync, get yourself a free Couch
   at Iris Couch <http://www.iriscouch.com/>!
   - Thanks to Christian Schaller <https://twitter.com/#%21/Uraeus2> for
   confirming that PyGI and GStreamer 1.0 will be best
buds<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pygobject/+bug/873712>.
   Count us in on the GStreamer 1.0 party!

Get the bits

Packages are available in the Novacut Stable Releases
PPA<https://launchpad.net/%7Enovacut/+archive/stable?field.series_filter=oneiric>for
Ubuntu
11.10 <http://www.ubuntu.com/>. And you can download the source code from
each component's Launchpad project page. Whoa, *seven* components and
counting:

   - novacut <https://launchpad.net/novacut>
   - dmedia <https://launchpad.net/dmedia>
   - filestore <https://launchpad.net/filestore>
   - microfiber <https://launchpad.net/microfiber>
   - userwebkit <https://launchpad.net/userwebkit>
   - usercouch <https://launchpad.net/usercouch>
   - dc3 <https://launchpad.net/dc3>

Contribute to 11.11 and beyond!

We always release on the last Thursday of the month. The 11.11 components
will be released on Thursday November 24 2011, and development is already
underway. To see what's in store for the next releases, checkout the 11.11
milestones:

   - novacut 11.11 <https://launchpad.net/novacut/+milestone/11.11>
   - dmedia 11.11 <https://launchpad.net/dmedia/+milestone/11.11>
   - filestore 11.11 <https://launchpad.net/filestore/+milestone/11.11>
   - microfiber 11.11 <https://launchpad.net/microfiber/+milestone/11.11>

That's all, folks!

Thanks to everyone who is helping make this dream a reality!

Cheers,
Jason Gerard DeRose <http://twitter.com/#%21/jgderose>