novacut-community team mailing list archive

Novacut 12.07

Special thanks to
monstercameron<https://www.youtube.com/user/monstercameron/feed>for
editing this
excellent video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrBHzu9S8T4> with Novacut
and OpenShot!

I'm happy to announce that I'll be presenting at the GStreamer conference
on August 27<http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/conference/gstreamer-conference-timetable.html>.
And this month I made a three part video tutorial to help interested folks
get started with Novacut development:

   - Part 1: Installing from Daily PPA, setting up
bzr<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAFZ8hPyd-M>
   - Part 2: Working with Dmedia from its source
tree<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJrLkcNj-5k>
   - Part 3: Working with Novacut from its source
tree<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzbNFhP07BM>

What's New

It was a slow month in the Novacut component, but Matteo
Ronchetti<https://plus.google.com/u/0/105618380002935245686/posts>made
further enhancements to the project trash.

However, this month saw *massive* work in our CouchDB foundations. I
packaged CouchDB
1.2.0<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/couchdb/+bug/1022515>for
Ubuntu Quantal (pending review), and this release is using CouchDB
1.2.0 (delivered in our PPA). I also did a lot of work in
Microfiber<https://launchpad.net/microfiber/trunk/12.07>and
UserCouch <https://launchpad.net/usercouch/trunk/12.07>, two components
that had been fairly quite for a while.

And I did a ton of work in Dmedia <https://launchpad.net/dmedia/trunk/12.07>,
making some important steps toward being able to certify Dmedia as truly
production ready. I didn't think it would take so long to get Dmedia
production ready, but data loss is a scary prospect and these things just
take time.

Fun fact, ohloh now estimates Dmedia at 5
person-years<https://www.ohloh.net/p/dmedia>of work, and estimates
Novauct at 3 person-years <https://www.ohloh.net/p/novacut> of work.
Install Novacut 12.07

Please follow these
instructions<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Novacut/HowToInstall>to install
Novacut on Ubuntu
12.04 LTS <http://www.ubuntu.com/>. Note that if you've already installed a
previous version of Novacut, you'll automatically get Novacut 12.07 the
next time the Ubuntu Update Manager runs.

However, you *will* have to reboot for the Novacut update to take effect.
We know this is annoying, and very un-Ubuntu like. We're working on a
fix.<https://bugs.launchpad.net/dmedia/+bug/902856>

If you're trying Novacut for the first time, you probably want to
start by watching
this <https://vimeo.com/groups/novacutartistdiaries/videos/41021506> so you
understand a bit about Dmedia, and then watch
this<https://vimeo.com/groups/novacutartistdiaries/videos/41021504>to
get a good tour of Novacut.
Source code

You can download the source code from each component's Launchpad project
page:

   - novacut <https://launchpad.net/novacut>
   - dmedia <https://launchpad.net/dmedia>
   - filestore <https://launchpad.net/filestore>